Part of why some people get uncomfortable in front of a camera is because they do not know how to pose properly and show their best sides. There are a lot of do’s and don’ts when it comes to posing for professional photos. It is important to know what works for your body and face because:
- You are likely paying a lot of money for your photographer
- This is the biggest and likely most expensive day of your life
- You want to have great memories and not be upset about the way you may have looked
- You want to share them with your friends, family, and your future family
- Pictures last a lifetime; you want to love them forever!
What to do when posing for your photographer:
- Open your eyes – make sure that you are not squinting. When your eyes are wide, they let more light in allowing for more twinkly photos.
- Make sure your hair is where you want it to be – Sometimes you may have to switch angles if you are working against wind, make sure your hair isn’t in your face, bring extra bobby pins if you need to pull back any loose strands
- Hand to hip – This may feel awkward, but it elongates your body and creates the gap between your torso and arm, making you look slimmer. You can play around with different poses but try to keep your arm off your side.
- Turn your shoulders – try not to face the camera head on as it makes you look wider, angle one of your shoulders toward the camera to create a narrower profile.
- Idle hands – We all know they saying about having idle hands so make sure your hands are “busy”, They should have a job, whether they are holding a prop, holding hands, or just placed somewhere where they look natural. Make sure your hands aren’t stiff and they look graceful.
- Teeth or no teeth – practice this before the shoot, take some selfies, look in the mirror and decide if you look better with your teeth showing or not.
Check out some of our favorite shots from over the years below.
Want more tips on being comfortable in front of the camera? Check out this article.
Looking for a photographer to shoot your wedding or engagement? Contact me today and let’s chat! I can’t wait to be a part of your special day!