Have you ever wondered why flowers are included in weddings? I hadn’t until a couple of days ago while going through past weddings that I had shot and started realizing how many different types of flowers there are. Flowers are literally a gift from Mother Nature. Wedding bouquets come in so many types of flowers in all of the colors of the rainbow, different sizes, different shapes, different smells. I bride can have anything she wants to complete her look or her decor.
So I started researching why we even have flowers at a wedding and I found some very interesting facts that I wanted to share with you. There is more meaning and symbolism than you may have thought and it may actually help you chose your flower(s) for your big day!
Bouquets have been carried for hundreds of years, and here are some of the reasons why:
- Cover up the smell of body odor (remember most people only bathed once a year!)
- Ward off evil spirits, ill health and misfortune (very superstitious back in the day!)
- Flower garlands would symbolize new life, hope and faith.
- Bring happiness.
- The ribbon tied around the bouquet symbolizes fellowship.
As you can tell, most of the reasons to carry a bouquet are to promote a healthy and happy marriage. Which is what we all want when saying “I Do”. To take it a bit further you can choose flowers that have special symbolism that can represent your marriage, your love, your relationship, and your commitment.
- Anemone – Expectation & Good Fortune
- Baby’s Breath – Innocence
- Pink Carnation – Boldness
- Red Carnation – Love
- Chrysanthemum – Wealth and Abundance
- Daffodil – Happiness
- Dahlia – Commitment
- Gardenia – Purity & Joy
- Hydrangea – Pride & Understanding
- Lily of the Valley – Purity & Humility
- Orchid – Beauty
- Peony – Good Fortune
- Pink Rose – Loveliness
- Red Rose – Love & Happiness
- White Rose – Innocence
- Sunflower – Adoration & Loyalty
- Tulip – Love & Passion
So what type of flowers will you be showing off on your wedding day? Love and Happiness, Good Fortune, Purity, Commitment? We are sure whatever you pick will not only be gorgeous but meaningful to you, your partner, and your relationship.
Check out some of the gorgeous wedding bouquets we have shot over the years. If you are looking for a photographer to capture your special day Contact me today and let’s chat!